Posted by Dr. Meagan 2022-09-29
For the month of October, orthodontists around the country are working to promote awareness about the benefits of orthodontic treatment and celebrate the advantages of a healthy smile. If you’re looking to improve your child’s (or your own!) oral health game, it isn’t enough to simply hide the Halloween candy this month. Silver Smiles of Snellville & Atlanta are here to provide information on why a healthy mouth begins with a well-aligned smile.
What Is Orthodontic Treatment?
Put simply, orthodontic treatment aims to create proper alignment & positioning of the teeth and jaw. A multitude of appliances can be used to correct various bite issues including braces, retainers and headgear, among others. While many treatment plans will be most effective on children whose jaws are still developing, there are still plenty of options for adults to achieve a healthy bite.
Why Is Orthodontic Treatment Important?
For many reasons, orthodontic treatment by a qualified orthodontist in Atlanta is a crucial part of any oral care routine. Under the care of our qualified orthodontist in Snellville, our patients gain:
- A healthy bite – The jaw functions best when it is properly positioned. Mispositioned jaws contribute to an unlimited number of problems including difficulty chewing, speech impediments and even more serious issues including sleep apnea.
- Proper alignment of the teeth – Think of our teeth like puzzle pieces. When they are not properly positioned, eventually it will begin to wear and tear on the other pieces around. The same can be said for our teeth. When they are not properly aligned, everything fits together in harmonious fashion and when they do not match up, you are leaving your teeth exposed to years of extensive wear- leading to an increase of dental health problems down the line. For instance, gum disease from plaque buildup, difficulty flossing and cleaning teeth, difficulty chewing, a buildup of bacteria in the mouth which can lead to chronic bad breath and even heart problems (YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT- the bacteria gets in the bloodstream and goes straight for the heart valves), frequent headaches and TMJ are just a few issues that can arise from improper alignment.
- An aesthetically pleasing smile – Like it or not, having a straight smile has become increasingly mainstream in today’s society and those with straight teeth are commonly perceived as being more successful overall. It has been shown that the impression your smile leaves can be the difference between gaining opportunities or being passed over.
Another key advantage of National Orthodontic Health Month is educating our patients & the public on any confusion over orthodontic treatment like braces in Snellville. According to the American Association of Orthodontists, common misconceptions are:
- Anyone who provides braces or aligners is an orthodontist.
- Orthodontists are expensive.
- Office visits are not required to get straight teeth.
- Orthodontic treatment takes years.
- Orthodontic treatment is strictly cosmetic.
- Orthodontists only use braces.
- Orthodontic treatment is only for kids.
These myths keep far too many people from obtaining a healthy smile, and National Orthodontic Health Month is a perfect opportunity for us to dispose of those rumors!
How You Can Participate In National Orthodontic Health Month
With patient education at the forefront, October is the perfect time to visit the Atlanta orthodontist! Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
- The American Academy of Orthodontics recommends that children be seen by an orthodontist by age 7. This enables the doctor to determine what issues, if any, are present. This early start allows the Snellville orthodontist to identify early warning signs to monitor, as well as tackle current issues while the jaw is still growing.
- Your child does not need to have lost all of his/her baby teeth before going to the orthodontist. On the contrary, going before all your child’s baby teeth have been lost is advantageous. This allows for early identification of potential issues and, in some cases, more effective treatment outcomes because the jaw is still growing.
- You CAN visit the orthodontist as an adult! While there has been an influx of tooth aligners on the market aimed at adults who “can’t” be seen by an orthodontist, this is purely a marketing ploy. While your treatment options may not be as robust as those of a child, you will be amazed at the plethora of options available to suit your needs.
This October doesn’t have to be only about tricks and treats! Put your family’s oral health first and set up a free consultation with us today. You’ll be glad you did!